#MeToo

Terry Crews Posted The Apology Letter From The Man Who Sexually Assaulted Him

It looks like justice is finally being served.

Yesterday, the Brooklyn Nine-Nine actor tweeted out a screenshot of a letter he received from Adam Venit.

Last year, Terry Crews filed a lawsuit against Venit for sexually assaulting him at a party and trying to blackmail him into being quiet about it. In addition, Crews shared the story on Twitter, so that he could act as a role model of sexual assault victims.

Now, almost a year later, Crews has posted a letter of apology from Venit. While it seems Crews received the letter back in March, he is only now sharing the message because Venit recently resigned from his position at William Morris Endeavor.

“It meant nothing without a resignation,” said Crews to Deadline.

In the letter, Venit apologizes for his crime against Crews.

“The intent of this letter is to start a dialogue in service of taking responsibility for the emotional challenge that this experience has caused you and your family," the letter reads. "I have dedicated myself to spiritual self-discovery in an effort to be the best person I can be for the rest of my life, and hopefully make difference to me, my family and everyone I know..."

"I know that you didn't ask for any of this," Venit continues. "Again, I take full responsibility for us being here now, together in this situation. I am sorry for all of it... I have no right to expect your forgiveness, but I am asking for it nonetheless."

Due to Venit’s recent resignation, Crews’ legal battle has come to a close.

Classical Singer Says Two Of The Biggest Musical Talents In The World Raped Him

In July, a baritone singer named Samuel Schultz wrote an essay about a past experience in which he was raped.

“I have been terrified to talk about this publicly. … There was a legitimate danger of always destroying my career by reporting someone else’s assault against me. Because of this, I have lived with the fear of exclusion and being silenced.”

At the time, Schultz chose not to identity the people who raped him, but he has now.

According to Daily News, Schulz has identified world-famous countertenor David Daniels and conductor Scott Walters, who are married, as his rapists. In addition, he has filed a lawsuit against them.

Schultz claims that in 2010, when he was a 23-year-old graduate student at Rice University, he was raped by the two.

Specifically on May 14, 2010, Schultz was invited by the two to a corporate apartment after a Houston Grand Opera Performance. While there, he accepted a drink and says he only remembers taking a few sips before blacking out.

As he wrote in the police complaint, he woke up the next day, “in a bed alone, completely naked. I was sore and I didn’t know why. I made my way to the bathroom to figure out why I hurt. I was bleeding from my rectum. I became numb. I was paralyzed with fear. What had happened? How could I escape? How would I get out? Where were my clothes? I tiptoed out of the bedroom to discover that David and Scott were not there. When they came back from eating somewhere, I think they asked if I had a good time. … I remember David saying, ‘Don’t worry about the BB thing, I’m totally negative.’ BB in this case meant bareback, otherwise known as raping me without a condom.”

According to Daily News, Schultz was too fearful to report the incident until now because he heard that Daniels had made tenure at the University of Michigan and will be within reach of more aspiring singers.

Meanwhile, the couple have both denied Schultz’s claims.

“Other than I deny these allegations, I have nothing to say. They're completely false,” said Daniels. Though, Daniels took a leave of absence from his job at the University of Michigan after news hit of the accusation.

As for Schultz, he says he will continue to fight and be vocal against his alleged aggressors while the police continue to investigate. So far, there have been no arrests.

h/t: The Daily News

Troye Sivan and #MeToo

Troye Sivan is a Perth-raised pop musician known for his first album Blue Neigbourhood which reached the top 10 in Australia and the US. His social media following has reached 8.7 million followers on Instagram and Twitter and he has participated in film work as well in movies such as X-Men: Origins Wolverine and the upcoming Boy Erased. The 23-year-old is known for his music about gay experiences, having come out at the age of 18 via YouTube video, and unashamed representation in things such as his music videos. In a recent article for The Sydney Morning Herald, Sivan opened up about his new album, finding himself, and the #MeToo movement.

            Sivan joins a group of out artists such as Frank Ocean and Sam Smith who are not only open about their sexuality but make it a part of their music. Sivan’s recent single “Bloom” is a metaphor for his experiences as a bottom, which he clearly expressed in a now-deleted tweet. On his openness Sivan says:

“I just had this unbelievable hunger and necessity to live my life openly. [I feared coming out would] change things. But in that moment I had to do my self the favour of getting out of the way.” -smh.com.au

When asked if he has seen any of the consequences of being out in the mass media, he says that rather than face homophobia he has found a group of devoted fans more intimate than he could have imagine.

            In the same interview, he discussed how his journey to become famous got him into the dirty side of Hollywood. As a child making YouTube videos, he says he was targeted by men for online sex- one man even identified himself as a manager in the music business. He says:

“I was so naïve about everything and about the industry. I had no idea how to check if someone was legit or not. [He] promised the world to me and then as we got closet just completely inappropriately, you know, started… everything changed all of a sudden. It was super weird.” -smh.com.au

He says the man took advantage of him over Skype. Afterwards, he told his parents and ceased contact until one day he ran into the same man on the streets of LA. In the wake of the #MeToo movement, Sivan felt comfortable enough to share his experience and says that others have told similar stories about the same man. Now, Sivan finds himself at the height of a successful music career with his own manager and an album on the way. His bravery for speaking out is notable and will hopefully be an inspiration to speak out and hold people accountable.

Troye Sivan’s album Bloom will be released August 31st, 2018 and he can be seen in this fall’s Boy Erased.

h/t: smh.com.au, billboard.com

 

If you are a victim of sexual assault and seeking help, call 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) to be connected to a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area.

50 Cent Mocks Terry Crew’s Sexual Assault!

50 Cent Mocks Terry Crew’s Sexual Assault!


Crews Speaks In Front Of US Senate Judiciary Committee 

#GROAN! In October 2017, we reported Actor Terry Crews had made sexual assault allegations against Talent Agent, Adam Venit. Yesterday, the 49-year-old White Chicks star appeared before the United States Senate Judiciary Committee to speak of a Sexual Assault Survivors Bill of Rights which is being proposed. Crews doesn’t go into too much detail of the assault, but allegedly, Venit grabbed Crews’ genitals and was “effectively telling he is in control.” Upon a question regarding retaliation from a Senator, Crews proclaims the Producers of The Expendables films wanted him to drop the sexual assault case in order for him to continue in the franchise. Crews refused and is no longer going to be in the series. Ironically, the alleged Producer who made this claim is going through his own sexual assault allegation case. Trust me, I tried snooping to see who was producing the film but came up short.


Check out Crews’ emotional speech to the Senate below:


Of course, we all applaud Crews for calling out Venit for sexual assault. One would be led to believe someone of Crews’ physical size, attitude, and stature would not be able to be sexually assaulted. One of the people who are taking Crews’ sexual assault as a joke is Rapper 50 Cent, who kind of appears to appreciate his gay fans, but has a sketchy past with homophobia. Cent took to Instagram, creating a meme of combined photographs of Crews: Flexing and holding a rose in his mouth. Cent captioned it with a quote from Crews: “I froze in fear” with a laughing emoji. Check out the now deleted-post below:



Literally Cent is nothing but ignorant the majority of the time. He is insinuating that due to Crews’ size, he is unable to be sexually assaulted and should’ve gotten violent with the predator. Crew has stated in the past he didn’t want to get in a physical altercation with Venit because the headlines would be swapped: Large, African-American man attacks skinny Caucasian Agent.


According to TMZ, Crews is well aware of Cent’s ignorant post but is not going to respond to him. Crews will continue being one of the most surprising faces of sexual assault in the #MeToo industry. He continues his battle to get justice.

Kevin Spacey is Back in the "Billionaire Boys Club" Trailer

Kevin Spacey is back! Only, don’t call this a comeback. This is a movie the actor shot two years ago.

The trailer for The Billionaire Boys Club is out. In the film, Spacey plays—get this—an extremely wealthy man who abuses his power and takes advantage of people.

The movie, which kind looks like The Wolf of Wall Street if it were made by teenagers on a budget instead of Martin Scorsese, is about a 1980s Los Angeles Ponzi scheme ring. It features attractive young male stars Ansel Elgort and Taron Egerton, and Emma Roberts dressed up as Pris from Blade Runner for some reason.

No, this isn’t a comeback. This is a distributor trying to eek out a profit for a movie they paid for long before sh*t went down. Still, it’s surprising, and a little unsettling, that Spacey is featured so prominently in the marketing.

Last October, Rent and Star Trek Discover star Anthony Rapp told Buzzfeed that Spacey  made sexual advances when Rapp was a minor. This led to a swift, industry-wide fallout for the actor, who has now been accused of sexual misconduct by at least 30 men.

Shortly after Rapp’s bombshell, director Ridley Scott and Sony Pictures made international headlines with an Eleventh Hour decision to remove Spacey from the historical thriller All the Money in the World, replacing his screen time with Christopher Plummer in the role of J. Paul Getty.

Netflix forcibly removed Spacey from the final season of House Cards, and now Robin Wright is the new President Underwood. That automatically means this is going to be the best House of Cards season in like five years.

The press tour for The Billionaire Boys Club—if there is one—sounds like it’s going to be a doozy. I kind of just want to grab a bucket of popcorn, sit on the sidelines and watch it all go down. It’s bound to be more entertaining than the movie itself.

The Billionaire Boys Club opens in limited theaters July 19, and you can see it if you’re interested!

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oCY_mMvG9s

h/t: https://www.out.com/popnography/2018/6/14/kevin-spacey-stars-billionaire-boys-club-despite-numerous-sexual-assault-allegations

Hollywood Producer To Surrender To Authorities Regarding Sexual Misconduct Allegations

The New York Daily News is reporting that disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein is expected to surrender to authorities sometime on Friday to face charges related to alleged sexual misconduct in connection to a probe by the Manhattan District Attorney's office and NYPD.

The Academy Award winning producer is facing charges regarding at least one accuser, Lucia Evans, who told authorities that Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him in 2004, sources said.

The Daily News reports that due to the nature of the allegations, the statute of limitations does not apply.

In October 2017, following numerous allegations of sexual misconduct, Weinstein was fired from his company and expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 

By the end of October, well over 80 women had made allegations against Weinstein. The allegations were the impetus for the "#MeToo" social media campaign.

Since then the launch of the #MeToo campaign, gay men have stepped forward alongside women to share their stories of sexual misconduct in the workplace.

Weinstein has maintained that he is innocent of all alleged wrongdoing.

Should We Support Rehabilitated Sexual Predators?

Should We Support Rehabilitated Sexual Predators?


Matt Lauer, Louis CK, And More Eye Comeback!

#METOO. The next topic is pretty handsy. The #MeToo movement has completely ripped a part the Entertainment universe and has been the hottest topic of the year. The downfall of alleged pig, Harvey Weinstein, was one I believe we all laughed at. After decades of allegedly harassing women, he finally received his karma. Sure, he'll have an endless amount of money until his death bed, but his reputation is shot. It's safe to say, Weinstein will never have a comeback. However, some men accused of sexual allegations are eyeing a second chance in the Entertainment business. Should we be supporting a redemption story from any alleged predator?


According to The Cut, alleged sexual predators, Comedian Louis C.K., News Anchor, Matt Lauer, and more are trying to succeed post their #MeToo allegations. No exact word yet on how Lauer plans his return being the face of day time news, but apparently Louis is going to try a comedy tour making fun of his mistakes. Hmm. In these two specific instances, I definitely believe Lauer will never be on television again in general. He may want to start a Youtube channel and see what happens? Louis will probably have small success doing tours throughout bars in the South and MidWest, because if his fans have his humor, they do think the #MeToo movement is a joke. However, it's clear allegations and internet scrutiny have buried the careers of these men. As they should. 


Moving forward, I cannot help but wonder: Should we be forgiving of the alleged predators? We live in a current society who enjoy seeing people become ruined. Especially since the election of Donald Trump, everyone has became more abrasive with their opinion. It was primarily women who were sick and tired of seeing wealthy men in power get away with...elections, among plenty else, which likely charged the #MeToo movement. The movement was to tell men they can no longer use their authority to harass anyone. The alleged facts these men used their power to demean and sexually touch others is absolutely appalling. To be honest, in my opinion, it's unforgivable.


This brings the next conversation. Can you befriend someone who has done terrible things in their past? To me, a leopard doesn't change it's spots. While I support someone rehabilitating themselves in any capacity, this only works if the person did this without harm to others. Changing for yourself is one thing, but these alleged predators have gotten away with their antics for years and were forced to acknowledge their alleged disgusting behavior. They won't change and neither should public opinion on them.


Will you support the comeback of the alleged predators returning to the limelight?


This was created by one of our Contributing Writers and does not reflect the opinion of Instinct Magazine or the other Contributing Writers when it comes to this subject. 

The Razzie Awards Honored Kevin Spacey & Other #TimesUp Villains With An "In Memoriam"

Even the Razzies are celebrating the ongoing #MeToo/#TimesUp movement.

Awards season was at its height this weekend with the Oscars and the Razzies celebrating the best and the worst of movie making respectively.

On Saturday (March 3), the 38th Annual Golden Raspberry Awards, most commonly known as the Razzies, revealed the “winners” who made the worst contributions to Hollywood in 2017.

But that’s not all.

In a video, shared below, the Razzies also decided to include an “In Memoriam” to remember the Hollywood creatives and executives who were called out for their sexual harassing tyranny.

Some faces included in the video are Harvey Weinstein, Casey Affleck, Brett Ratner, Woody Allen, Lous C.K., Donald Trump, James Franco, and Kevin Spacey.

Spacey has seen his career utterly destroyed after Star Trek’s Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of making sexual advances at him when he was 14.

Spacey was quickly fired from his role in Netflix’s House of Cards and he was digitally removed from the movie All the Money in the World.

In addition, James Franco has taken a bit of a hit due to the allegations against him. Many believe he did not receive an Oscar nomination for his role in The Disaster Artist because of the many claims against him.

While we’re not sure if all the careers referenced in the video are totally dead, we can say that most of them are hurting.

As for the rest of the Razzies, several films/actors gained dishonorable mentions. Some "winners
 were, The Emoji Movie for Worst Picture, Tom Cruise winning Worst Actor for The Mummy, and Tyler Perry winning Worst Actress for BOO! 2: A Madea Halloween.

Rumors of Hollywood Morality Clauses Could Mean Trouble For LGBTQ Actors

LGBTQ actors might soon be suffering because of sexual molesters.

As a reaction to the many sexual assault claims popping out of Hollywood, movie studios are considering the return of morality clauses.

Moral clauses were big in the 1920s. They allowed movie studios to place strict limitations on the personal lives of actors. This was enacted so studios could maintain their reputations and prevent actors from getting into big scandals or crime cases.

These clauses often protected studios and filmmakers “if the talent engages in conduct that results in adverse publicity or notoriety or risks bringing the talent into public disrepute, contempt, scandal or ridicule.”

Now with the rise of the #MeeToo campaign and the fall of Hollywood talents like Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein, some believe the resurgence of these moral clauses is on the horizon.

The problem is that this incredibly strict control over the personal lives of actors could negatively impact LGBTQ actors in the business.

There is already a stigma towards actors coming out of the closet for fear that the actors will no longer have the option of lead roles and will be shoehorned into typecasted parts.

For instance, Fantastic Beasts and Justice League actor Ezra Miller shared last year that he was told coming out was a mistake. In addition, Luke Evans's publicity team tried to make seem like he was dating a woman back in the mid-2000s.

While all of this is just assumption as studios consider the idea, LGBTQ talent might be concerned about the possibility.